Our first harbour of the trip is Golden (British Columbia, Canada) a cute small town with all you need for a Van trip, it has Laundromat, few grocery stores, climbing gym, public washrooms (behind main street, next to the bridge) and campground.
Our notes about Golden are:
Where to sleep?
- FREE camping Waitabit Creek Recreation site, about 20 min from town. It's one of our favourites places to stay, just by the creek you have about 12 all sizes sites with picnic tables and fire pits. Has toilets but no showers, if you feel adventures why not to have a quick bath in the creek? We did it!! :) (if you do that, don't forget to use a natural soap able to be used in nature). The road to arrive here is a easy one, accesible for all kinds of vehicles but attention with the pot holes, go slow. It's a very beautiful place to relax.
- FREE camping Bluewater Creek Recreation site, is about 15 min after Waitabit Creek, and about the same style. We went here the next night and we were totally alone. Also next to the creek, open area, with about 8 sites with tables and fire pits. Pretty cool too, we love it. Easy access for all kind of vehicles.
- Low fee camping Cedar Lake Recreation site, is $12/day (senior and disable $6/day). Has a day use area at the front of the lake, about 10 campsites with picnic tables and firepits. Has toilets but no showers. Easy access for all kind of vehicles. This camping is next to Moonraker biking trails and very close to town.
For more free and low fee sites visit http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/
- Municipal Campground in town from $28/night for tent to 30 amp with water for $35/night. The last sites next to the forest and river are the nicest. We didn't sleep here but we showered here. They have public showers for $1 for 6min, Rv dump and water tap.
The only place we found for showers was at the Municipal Campground as mentioned before. It's easy to access and you just need to bring your Looney ($1/6min) and you are ready to go directly to the shower at the same building as the check-in (the left side). Check for opening hours.
What to do?
We mainly mountain biked in this area, so here are our personal recommendations:
Around town there is the Rottary trail where you can go biking on a flat easy path. For walking you have all around the bridge area (behind main st) nice small strolls.
A good biking area we tried was Moonraker trail. It's a big area for mountain biking with a lot of intermediate trails and just a few easy and difficult ones. Beautiful area with a few lakes and well maintained.
We went in May, the area was full of mosquitos and we also crossed a bear, so don't forget your bear and mosquito spray!!! (it's safe if you are ready for it)
Maps are available in the bike shop in town "Higher Ground", they are nice people who gave us a good recommendation for trails. The shop has bike gear, a bit of mountain and ski gear, second hand stuff, bike mechanic, etc...
Climbing Gym Dogtooth
We didn't go this time but we have in the past. It's a friendly small indoor climbing gym with a very cool boulder wall and a small area for sport climbing. Check hours before you go at http://www.dogtoothgym.com/
We are the type of people who like to try breakfast and coffee/tea places, not really dinner and night clubs, sorry!
Our recommendations on Golden Main street are:
- "Bacchus Book-Café": it's a very cute book café with new and second hand books up and down stairs. It has healthy meals, organic teas, good coffee and free wifi. There is two levels and a small patio for summer.
- "Big Bend Café": if what you want it's a big yummy breakfast or lunch go to this café. We took a really nice meal! They have a big breakfast menu with a variety of eggs, veggies, meat, french toast, cereals, etc... Also with a few lunch varieties as soup, salad, sandwich, burritos, quesadillas, burgers, steaks, veggie patty, etc. All with a really reasonable price-quantity, very yummy!
The café has a nice patio and the interior part of the bar has a characteristic interior with old pictures of the town and funny antique deco details.
Marta order recommendation for a full breakfast-brunch is the Frittata with Avocado & Brie and Alex one is Texas Burrito, both really good.
AH! and it also has Bottomlesscoffee!!! Check the hours, but last time was from 7.30 am to 2 pm. No wifi.
Here you have the video, enjoy!!! :)